Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Bedtime Routine

I hate it. What should really take a half hour or so seems to take hours (just a slight exaggeration), and there is always so much complaining and crying. By the time the kids actually are in bed, I am so frustrated that all of the things I was going to do get pushed off for yet another night.

A couple nights ago I was home alone with the kids and I decided that Nels and I would make a picture chart of all of the things we usually do before bed. PJ's, Teeth, Potty, Scriptures, Prayer, Stories, Kisses, Snuggle. Nels and I went through the list pretty smoothly and he was in bed in almost record time.

The last couple of nights haven't gone so smoothly. Things should, since we have four adults in the house, all of them willing to help out. I have expectations (herein lies the problem) that everyone should drop whatever they are doing and focus on the 'chart'. The chart that basically I made. (Maybe no one is really on board with me and my stupid chart.) Now, even if I work extra hard, I still can't get Nels to bed in a acceptable amount of time without screaming and crying when everyone is home. Daddy, Grandma and Grandpa are very distracting and seem to hand out candy by the bunches at bed time. I only say this because Nels seems so much more interested in what they are doing then what I am trying to do.

Well, I am off to do my bedtime routine. Maybe Nels gets it from me. What should take a couple minutes always seems to take so long, especially if I get on the computer!

7 comments:

whit said...

Don't make posts like this. Right now I am thinking that it will be a long time before Koll gets on a schedule, but now after reading this, I know it will be a really long time! Oh well.

FishHead said...

i'm amazed at your boldness to complain about your situation

Emily said...

Pep, I have just conceded that morning routines and bedtime routines will each take at LEAST an hour, usually more. For bedtime, I make the kids get jammies on and teeth brushed starting at 7, then I"ll read to them and help with piano/homework, and then bed. Steve usually has other plans for the kids, however, so every night you never know what is going to happen at bedtime.

And I agree that more adults, while nice, often makes things more complicated. Complicated=harder, so don't listen to fishhead. (Sorry Fishhead, I hope we can still be friends someday if we ever meet.)

FishHead said...

sorry emily, we can't

whit said...

Who is this fishhead person? Oh, you will be friends with Emily when you meet, Fishhead.

pepper said...

Lets play nice Fishhead.

Anonymous said...

Hey Pepper
Remember that only one of those four adults is the mom.
Stoney